Monday, October 29, 2018

Ghost Stories - Go Play Elsewhere - The Apartment #3

Go Play Elsewhere


My mother, in her eighties, does not have a very good memory of late but the things she recalls from the past are crystal clear and, by my own experience as a reference point for them, very accurate.

So, when I told her I was writing about the myriad of odd occurrences I've had in my life, and those of the apartment we lived in until I was 11, she raised an occurrence that I had completely forgotten about but, upon hearing it, it had come rushing back to me so clearly.

It wasn't going to be one of the tales I told but may truly be one of the oddest.

The apartment was complex of 8 buildings lettered A through H. Our building, F, formed a corner, a perfect right angle, with building E and the resulting square yard they created was the only flat, grassy area around the complex. It was perfect size for waffle ball and so it became our field by default.  Hitting the wall above the first story was a home run and I can still, with clarity, recall the three times someone hit a plastic ball on top of the third story roof.  I remember these more for the fact that it was out only ball on two of the occasions and ended our game. . .

As you might expect, we were kids and we were loud. The result, with the noise bouncing off the brick facades of the large buildings was, I am sure, rattling to those who's windows faced the grassy diamond.

The management of the complex, due I am sure to the complaints of the noise,  eventually built a play area on a grassy lot behind the buildings but it was habit to play on this field and we returned to it often. I mean, the buildings DID make for the perfect diamond shade and the height of the walls made for a true "stadium feel".  And some summer nights people actually watched us from itheir windows.

Eventually we took to the new play area but it was an adjustment.

So I must have been eight or nine at most at the time this happened.

Very few people complained to us when we played or shooed us away but there was an elderly woman who lived in the very first apartment in F building on the ground floor.  I never knew her name nor can I or my mother recall it now but I will refer to her as Mrs. Smith for the purpose of the story.

Mrs. Smith's living room window overlooked the outfield, left field to be precise, and in the summer, when the heat set in, the window was usually open. These were the old wind-out windows, not the sliding kind with a screen.

Once we had been given the new play area and were not supposed to disturb the neighbors by playing on our old field, she made a habit of yelling at us out her window. Aways the same three words and nothing more:

"Go play elsewhere."

She wouldn't come outside or to the front door ( as I believe she used a walker), but instead would just wait for one of us to be close enough to the window to shout it at us as loud as she was able which was, not very loud. That lucky kid then had to relay the message to the rest of the group and we would, of course, pick up and go around the back.

There were times when she wasn't home for weeks at a time though. Maybe visiting family or in the hospital. Those times we fell back into the habit of playing on the diamond again. We did this because one of the kids had a parent who worked in the office of the complex and she had been told it was mostly Mrs Adams who had done the complaining about us being there. So if she wasn't home, we went right back.

So,  it must have been a few months since we had played on the old diamond field at all and, for some reason,  perhaps the new field had too many small kids on the new swingset, we decided to play a quick game on the diamond between buildings.

It was getting dark earlier then, nearer to Autumn, and as the game was winding down, I was put out in left field. . .Nearest to Mrs Smiths windows.

Later in the inning, as it was almost too dark to see anymore, I had my back to the window but heard Mrs Smith, as usual, calling out to me. . .

"Go Play Elsewhere."

We must have woken her, I thought, because she had not said a word for the hour or so that we had been there up to this point.

Well the game was ending anyway and I told everyone we needed to go. With that, I went inside the building and into our apartment. Soon after, when I was having dinner, mom asked about the game and I told her it had been fine but how mean old Mrs Smith had told us to go play elsewhere as always.

"What?" she asked, her face puzzled.

"She told us to go play elsewhere." I repeated, probably doing a bad impression of her voice.

"Nicolas."

I looked up mid bite and met her eyes.

"Who told you to go away?"

"Mrs Smith — out of her window like she always does. I was the one who was out there and heard her." I said, the last of my Spaghetti O's heaped on my spoon.

She sat down across from me, seeming confused.

"Honey," she said, "Don't lie to me."

"I'm not mom!" I protested unable to understand why she thought I was.

"Look," she said, " you all know that you're not supposed to play there anymore, so don't. And I don't know who yelled at you to be quiet but it wasn't Mrs. Smith.  Honey, the poor soul passed away a week ago. There's no one in her apartment."

I do not remember what my reaction to that was. I don't think I had any notion of it being odd or strange and I wasn't going to push it with my mother, to whom lying was the worst offense I could commit.  I DO recall now that, though we barely played on the grass diamond afterwards, I refused to play left field when we did. :)

Was it Mrs. Smith? Was it my own self consciousness about us playing there when we were not supposed to? ( I always protested it, knowing it was against the rules, but was often overruled by the Lord of the Flies majority)  was it someone else a floor above who probably heard Mrs Smith call out a dozen times or more over the previous summers?

I cannot say. I am amazed that my mother remembered after all these years and though it had slipped my own set of memories, it came back as soon as she mentioned Mrs. Smith.

Eventually an old man moved into Mrs Smith's old apartment and I had a year long battle with him which I will tell you about some other time. It wasn't supernatural in any way,  but it was a war of stubborn pre teen and old man attrition. . . lol


8 comments:

  1. That's really cool Nicolas! I would tend to believe she was lingering around her old home. "Go Play Elsewhere"...I bet that story will stick in your memory from now on! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rain!

      I agree, I think Mrs Smith was always bound to that place. I can also recall the smell of ginger cookies baking in her apartment during the holidays. Funny how that just came back to me now too. . . memories are really wonderfully strange creatures.

      Delete
  2. Totally loved this intriguing story Nicolas..powerful and magical..I am smiling. I love moments like these, how we are unaware someone has passed on, we have contact in some form... and then boom, we understand later...very cool. Thanks for sharing another of your childhood tales, I look forward to more. You are such a good writer by the way!
    Fantastic story!
    Have a magical time the rest of this Autumn season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Victoria! I've been working up to sharing another similar story, far closer to my heart, but not ready just yet. It's so personal and powerful for me and there is a fear there in the thought of telling it . . . but I will eventually. Your words are so kind. Thank you again for coming by and commenting!

      Delete
  3. That is so cool Nicolas!! Mrs. Smith wasn't going anywhere! She wanted to stay in her home! LOL! I believe you heard her!
    I hope you had a great Halloween!
    Thanks so much for all your great comments on my blog!
    Big Crow Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy I had a fabulous Halloween! I hope you did as well. I will by again soon to see what you have been up to! Always a joy to connect with you. ;)

      BIG Crow Hugs!!

      Delete
  4. Loved this story, Nicolas! I believe it was Mrs Smith who wouldn't let death stop her being at her apartment. I look forward to the next ghostly tale and I'm very intrigued to hear about your year long battle with the man who moved into Mrs Smith's apartment.

    I hope you have a lovely weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Serena! I feel that too. I believe she had lived there for two decades. I also feel the ghosts around my family home when I visit. And I think they are bound to everything that remains there.

      As for Mrs. Smith, I actually think we (the kids at the apt) were a part of her binding. She was never outright mean about our playing out there but it became her routine to come and yell at us and I think that's another form of that binding to one's place and events. ;) Thank you so much for your comment and wishing you a fantastic weekend ahead this weekend!

      Delete