Friday, July 20, 2018

Old School - Wicked Little Town #2 - Third Friday Post - July 20th

When I was a small boy I remember going to the neighborhood bakery with my mother every Saturday morning.

Walking in, the place was huge (to my young self at least) with large glass display counters on three sides, wooden racks behind the counters and an old fashioned number/ticket machine on a pedestal inside the door.

Most Saturdays, when we took a number, it might be, say #76, and on the wall behind the counter was a non-digital hand flipped counter that may have read - Now Serving #44.

Yes, there would be thirty plus people ahead of us.

The wait was actually my favorite part. I got to peruse the cases peeking around other customers legs and looking for what I would want to get as my cookie treat. That cookie was in addition to the usuals, 6 honey buns, a loaf of bread, bagels, a layer cake of some sort and a few danishes, brownies or turnovers. (Did I mention how I LOVED weekends!)

The wait was never long at all. This because there must have been 8 or 9 women behind the counter, most of them in their 50's or 60's, librarian glasses on chains, old fashioned salon-set hair styles, all in their pink outfits and white shoes, calling on numbers, taking orders, filling pink bakery boxes, making change.

Then other helpers running trays up to the front to replace the empty ones. The cases were stuffed full, the bread racks filled, the cookie counter piled with trays of cookies.  The counter ladies were super friendly and so sweet to me as a child.

And looking back on that bakery, here's the thing. There was zero pretentiousness. . . Zero foodie / fad diet influence. . . Zero artisanal anything.

A true, old school bakery.



Now, you never know at that age that things will change. Some for the better and some, not so much. In those days, maybe because of the lack of movement in old, generationally settled families, it seemed like every city had many such neighborhoods, each with their own stores and shops.

It seems now that every city I lived in has lost that. The old school shops, eateries, bakeries, bookstores, newsstands, grocery stores and delis replaced with a never ending carousel of whatever the flavor of the month is in the retail world or larger, one-stop stores that seem to be everywhere now.

So when we moved to our little town by the bay, I was thrilled to find a true to life, old school bakery that still did things the old fashioned way and all from scratch.


Unassuming in it's looks when I step out my door at 5:30am just a stone's throw north of here, I can smell the donuts frying and the bread baking! 



It's run by a couple in their sixties who do ALL the baking themselves. They used to have a full staff but finding good help in small towns can be a real headache so now they're only open 4 days a week and they start their work day at 10pm. Yes, you read that right. 10PM.

They open at 5:30am and they close between 1 and 3pm when they run out of things (which is nearly every day)

I usually get a danish for my morning coffee (and a few extra for the weekend if I don't feel like baking on their closed days) and a little something for the afternoon too, which can be a hard choice.


The case if nearly full right at opening and there are trays waiting for room as the day goes on.

They've been at it for over 30 years in this location. At times they've consider selling it and retiring but have never gone through with it. According to them, most people who inquire, don't have clue about the hours or work needed to make it all from scratch each day and they're not willing to sell it to someone who is going to come in and make it a par-baked, freezer-to-oven kind place.

And the best part? Ohhhh yes, the prices. A fresh baked fruit or cheese danish or almond bear claw the size of a salad plate? $1.50. A donut or apple fritter? 75 cents. A loaf of fresh baked and sliced English Muffin Bread? $1.99 A ginormous two-person cinnamon roll? $2.50

At least a dozen times each summer I overhear people from the city in there telling them, "You really need to raise your prices!"

No, they don't. That's old school.

And in the seven years we've been here, I've come to think, when this place goes, it will be about time to move on for me too.

 Seriously.  :)

The harbor is just a few blocks away. A great place to sit with a danish and coffee and watch the fishing boats roll in or out. 
We've got a few old school places like this. The general store, the old grocery store, the counter diner. Yet none of them have kept that feel quite like our little bakery. :)

Thanks for dropping by, as always, see you again soon!

nicolas

8 comments:

  1. This is so special Nicolas! There isn't places like this around anymore! My mom use to be a baker, when I was in High School. I remember her being at the bakery at 1:00am getting things ready. The smell was heavenly! She told me one story, where a couple that just got married, was coming through the town, where we use to live. It was around 6:00am and they had their windows down. They could smell my mom's baking as they drove. They stopped and tapped on the door. My mom said sure, come in. They told my mom, that they just got married. Mom made them some tea and they had some butter tarts. Mom said, don't worry about the money. When she opened the door to let them out and she started to clean up the plates, they left her a $20.00 bill and a thank you note. This was back in the 1980's. Mom didn't own the bakery, but she was the baker for around 4 years. Wasn't the same after she left.
    I really love your story Nicolas!! Keep going there! I sure would! You live in such a beautiful area! I can understand when you say, you would move, if the bakery wasn't there anymore!
    Big Crow Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy, that was a lovely story about your mom. That "heart" is what seems to be missing so much these days in businesses. In people. When I talk to my own mother about this she reminds me that in her day there were plenty of poorly run businesses too, but it was more of a shock to find one back then as opposed to now.

      We intend to remain as long as the bakery does, and places like it are on the short list of factors/reasons that could swing me to choose another town if and when we move in the future. :) It's been the same story with the last two places I owned. Once I sold them, I heard from old customers/employees who said "it's just not the same". Nice to hear but sad too because I know that my way of seeing the world, where the customer is first and foremost why you are there, even above your own need to make money, is what drove me to open/own those coffeehouses/cafes. It's a service. One to be embraced and offered whole heartedly. On the other side of that, yes, there were times where a customer, for one reason or another, was just too much in some way, for even me. . . but they were few and far between. lol

      Big Crow Hugs!!!

      Delete
  2. Hi Nicolas, so enjoyed this soulful post, very special, you have a deeply wonderful story-telling energy..I was totally enveloped in every enchanting word and even smelling sweets! I was ready for Edward Scissorhands to jump in the story(have no clue why he popped in my head) I think it is when you were describing the ladies with glasses. (sorry that was so random!) I love how you spent every Saturday morning with your mom waiting for your order, sounds like a very special time, makes me feel nostalgic for my childhood too! I too love the charm of simple towns and all the original store owners, back then everything felt so unique...and now all the enchantment goes.
    Thanks for sharing your magical world !Fantastic post!
    PS: your pic looks yummy! enjoy!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. V,

      I LOVE the Edward Scissorshands reference! That made me smile. :)

      I do think some my nostalgia is for the innocence of that time too. As a kid, we aren't able to understand why people run businesses, why they are there at all. It just seems so magical doesn't it? That a bakery would just be there waiting for us every weekend filled with choices? I think I've been trying to find my way back to that all of my adult life and while it's rare, finding it in an exterior source is truly a bit of real magic. The kind you cannot set out to create really. It's that wonderful mix of time, intent, character, integrity, vision and selflessness that makes it all possible...

      I've done my best to build a world that allows me to slip into that space time and again day after day. Made choices and put up strong boundaries around it to ensure it would be protected. I wouldn't trade it for anything but I do enjoy the moments when I can step out of it and find a similar feeling at places like that bakery, or the library, or the county fair, or a bench by the bay.

      Thank you SO much Victoria, for reading and leaving such a lovely comment!!

      nicolas

      Delete
  3. Hello Nicolas, wonderful post, makes me want to move there all the more. Reading your fond memories always brings up memories of my own childhood. I loved going to a health food store in a nearby college town with my mom on sundays. I would get dried pineapple slices, and we’d also go to the book store and an extremely artsy gift shop called ‘the gallery’ and another gift shop that was like an old country store. They were all open sundays because they were all 7th Day Adventists.

    We had a great little bakery here in my town that just recently closed, and we really miss it! I loved their giant lemon cookies. The young gentleman that ran it sometimes still bakes and takes his cookies and donuts and fudge to the farmers market so at least we can get it once in awhile in summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know my favorite part of your comment? The stores that were open on Sundays because they were 7th Day Adventists! It seems the idea of closing on Sundays is another bygone thing except in small towns that still have a church identity. I can remember a small, local neighborhood grocer who was closed on Sundays when was very young!

      Oh I am glad you get to have the chance to still get those treats from the baker! That's even more special in a way. :) There was a guy here who made sushi once a week because we had no sushi in the entire county! Now there's a place, a true restaurant, but it was fun to go on a monday and get some because it was the only chance to do so or you missed out. That reminds me of the church ladies of every denomination who had bake sales, made pirogies, strudel, spanikopita, baklava, crepes, fresh noodles etc and sold them once a year for their respective churches. I'd go a long way to attend one of those events! :)

      Not to mention roadside stands like I remember from drives in the country on the east coast with my grandmother. Apple butter, pies, jams, etc.

      I find there to be a real link between churches and small bakeries and shops that truly host their community. Even our local Post Office, since we do not have home delivery, is that sort of place. You get to know so many of your neighbors, townsfolk that way when you have to see them in those brief social situations. I think the Post Office is my next small town blog post. :)

      So lovely to have you drop by and share your memories too! Thank you Andrea!

      nicolas

      Delete
  4. What sweet childhood memories! The treats look so delicious. I'm glad you found someplace that wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa! It's always lovely to have you drop by. :)

      Delete