Friday, May 4, 2018

New Work - First Friday Post - May 4th

Happy May everyone!

The month is off to a wonderful start here with perfect Spring weather, (which most say is still to cool but perfect for me!) and lots of Spring love as the birds find their mates and start next building. Our feeders and container garden are full of Red Finches, Juncos, Swallows, Starlings and both regular and Golden Crown Sparrows.

Also, the annual reshuffling of the crows has taken place. I go from having a flock of 30 or so all autumn and winter, a murder of juveniles I believe, as I know that crows go through this social phase and it always starts in the late summer after they all hatch and fledge.

From late summer on, the whole group visits me each morning and they know my whistle and will come whenever I am around town and have a treat for them! I've been "followed" from the bakery or the Post Office several times, starting with one or two who put out the call when I whistle and, by the time I get back home (just a few blocks away from either) it may grow to a dozen or more!  Crows have the ability to recognize faces and I have seen them, on many occasions, sitting on theories in town and they turn their heads and look down at me as I walk by. If it's one of "my" crows, they'll follow. I usually carry a pocket full of dry treats for them during this time.

They also know how to call me.  I will sit at out front windows in the mornings writing and, if  am distracted and don't notice the rising light, they fly from the back of the building around to the front, taking up a place on the wires and they'll let me know, in no uncertain terms, what time it is. ;)

Come March they all suddenly disperse and for a few weeks I get a break. I may not see a single crow in the mornings then. Some of that seems to revolve around daylight savings time and the change in the light. . .but I assume that this is also the pairing/nesting phase and they are busying other things. :)

 I always leave food out for them but never see more than one or two at a time. Then, suddenly, they start to return. First one pair. Then another, and then, this morning, twelve crows waiting at the break of day! Soon though it will be just the males who will stockpile food in their mouths and try to carry as much back to their nests as they can manage. I've watched countless times as a crow tries to fit one more salmon cat kibble or piece of egg in it's mouth only to lose the whole mouthful.

But my favorite part will come in late summer.  Once the young are hatched and fledged, the adults  bring them by to teach them about the morning"routine". Though by this time it is hard to tell a young crow from their parent in size, the easiest way is to watch them land on wires where the young crows haven't quite got the hang of it all yet and bob back and forth trying to learn their balance in the wind or rain. I never get tired of that! And if I'm lucky,  I'll get a few days where the adults are still feeding them. The group lands and the young stand their with their mouths open waiting to be fed. This is at the very end of the raising stage so it only lasts for a day or so until the parents decide to make them fend for themselves.

I love these avian hallmarks of the seasons.  Each year we wait with that strange anticipation, as if in fear that any or all of them might not return. . . but they always do. :)

So on to some new work for the season as well!

A Classic "castle" tower scene. 

Potted Fairy House

One of the new creations I've been working on: Stone Troll!!

Windmill with Tulips and delicate sails! 

Egyptian Otter statue very similar to one in the Met Museum.

Thoth as a baboon and Khonsu as a kite/hawk. Both lunar deities.

Gardener's house featuring large polymer flowers. 






I hope you enjoyed the peak at the latest work and I look forward to sharing more as time goes on.

I'll be changing up my routine a bit. I am close to launching a separate blog/site for my Makings of a Maker posts. I feel like I would like to write in greater detail about the processes of making a living from art/craft from start to finish but without it being tied to me here or at Etsy.

I know that probably does not make much sense but I want it to be separate from my shops, which I will mention where necessary but I think it would be more helpful to allow people to find their own way to what works for them without the influence of my own or any perception that I have something to sell. Those weekly posts seem to get the most views/reads, near double to my others, so that has been encouraging.

It may be month or two away but, when it comes, I will swap out that weekly post with one abut living in a small town (pop 800) which I also hope will inspire some. I was reading an article recently about the number of 20 somethings who cite having feelings of despair and anxiety over their futures and while I know 20 somethings aren't about to move to small towns in droves, I want to speak to the way that it was simply the knowing that I always HAD choices was, I believe, a big part of why I never felt that despair. The awareness that I was making choices and that I was creating my world, not the other way around. .  . Anyway, more on that to come.

Thank you, as always, for dropping by!

nicolas
xoxo

6 comments:

  1. I loved hearing about your crows! I have been enjoying watching my birds this weekend... now that it is finally warm enough to be in my backyard! We have cardinals and blue jays mostly. And I think some morning doves.
    We had to go to Rochester today for a wedding reception... very casual at a park on the beach of Lake Ontario, and going there I realized it has been at least a few years since I have had to go to “the city” as we call it since it is the biggest city near us, about 1 1/4 hours away. And I also realized I hadn’t missed it at all. I could never live in a city or without foothills. So I will enjoy your small town posts to come... (btw we took Jace and he managed to stay about a half hour, just too many people for him)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, I know what you mean! We've found it hard to imagine living anywhere else these days when we stop and look around. I love this town. The proximity to nature and the disconnect from the larger world in general (for this reason LOVE the internet!). Sometimes I forget that there is anywhere else but here. . .

      We have Stellar Jays but no cardinals. I was so happy to see them in March when I went home. Our red finches are lovely but not "cardinal lovely". :)

      And Jace. . . he's not alone. I go anywhere these days with a crowd and I feel the same way. Too much humanity and get me out of there, please. lol

      Delete
  2. Nicolas, such a wonderful post! I loved hearing about your crows! You made my heart smile, thank you! Truly love all your new creations! That Little Fairy Windmill, is so cute!!
    "The awareness that I was making choices and that I was creating my world, not the other way around" Very wise words!!!
    Thank you for always such thoughtful comments on my blog! Means the world to me!
    Big Crow Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stacy! It's easy, I think, to get caught up in the whirlwind that is life as it happens to us but in the middle of that, I think taking a step back and looking at the myriad of choices that we make every day, either to change or NOT to change something in our world, is a powerful "magic". Maybe most of the magic is simply found in the realization that it is actually our choosing one way or another. And that no path comes with a guarantee. Enjoy your birds and the nicer weather!!! You are always welcome for the comments. Your blog is a beautiful respite from the sometimes frantic world of "making" :)
      Big Crow Hugs!!!!

      Delete
  3. Hi Nicolas, your creations are absolutely magical and gorgeous..I love them all, the sweet troll and that mesmerizing otter stole my heart..all of your work speaks to my soul and I love seeing what new creations you are up to. Yay, enjoy your magical adventures with your crows..they truly are special beings...wonderful! I look forward to your new blog too! Wishing you a beautiful May and many new creative journeys ahead!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Victoria! I love that otter too! The one I was inspired by is the only one I've seen in any collection. Perhaps, since it's not exactly a "deity", it just hasn't been valued as say a Bast or Sekhmet might be. . . but how sad, it's an OTTER!! :)

      I'm so happy you love the troll too! I am moving more and more towards fantasy creatures as the years go by and it's like a whole new adventure of the spirit. :)

      Crows. . . yes, so magical! Ravens as well. OF all the birds I've encountered, they are the ones I feel most in sync with and I love that you can be known to them too. That they recognize our faces, our calls, our routines and our care for them. . .

      Keep making magic tand exploring the soul there as well Victoria! I look forward to dropping by soon again. . .

      nicolas

      Delete