Friday, May 18, 2012

Death Knell For Another Coastal Community


I read this in a small coastal business paper today.

"The creative class of people is one of the signs of an emerging area. Then rich people are attracted to that gritty feel."

I felt immediately ill. . .

As I reflect on it, my gut feeling is that this story, played out in community after community, is killing this country faster than anything else I see on the near horizon.

It is also in great part why I removed myself from the hipster haven of Portland to the small, blue collar fishing village I now call home. One with no room for pretentiousness or attitude. It is the antithesis of a town like the one described in that quote. One that will never likely turn itself out for the quick fix of the  "revitalization" and "progress" that others have sold the soul of their own towns for.

Goodbye Astoria. . . I'll remember you as you were while the wave of hipster attitude quickly erodes your unique landscape and charm and tramples your historic soul, I wish you peace.






1 comment:

  1. Nicolas I had to chuckle when I read this in Wiki's notable people of Astoria....
    "Holly Madison, one of Hugh Hefner's ex-girlfriends,[20] born in Astoria but left before 2nd birthday"
    perhaps it is safe for a while yet?
    You are one up on Scottsdale in Tasmania where my acreage is though...we have yet to produce ANY note worthy persons:)))

    ReplyDelete