Friday, August 3, 2018

New Work - First Friday Post - August 3rd

Hello Everyone!

We had our first rain here in a few weeks and it feels like fall already! Foggy, gray and moody. A fine walk in the forest this morning revealed many yellow leaves and berries on the ground. It's been a lovely summer but I am ready for fall and winter again! :)

Alright, on to the new work from the last month. . . I want to get back on an every Friday pace AND get back to commenting more regularly on my favorite blogs so I am going to keep the first Friday posts minimal on words. I have lots to share with coming month, new inspirations and oddities, a few book recommendations and a few video links.

Plus, 4th Fridays will be back with a look into my process as I continue to push through the first draft of my fantasy novel.


For now, enjoy the newest and most recent from my shops:

Nicolas XO
Let's get right to it with this fantasy inspired piece. A monk's hermitage set atop a stone spire with a circular staircase cut into the stone and winding it's way up the sides. . . and a tiny N scale Monk figure! 

Rarely get a request for the Goddess Nephthys as a Kite. This may be my favorite that I have made. 



A more detailed and complex Mushroom House Scene

I love the regal simplicity of the Sekhmet face. She truly is the Lady of Light. 

Too Soon? Not for the shop! I've been slowly stocking up on making mini tombstones for the Halloween season! 

This new blue "faience" patina is a mess to work with but yields such amazing results!
My fingers are blue for two days afterwards! (Note to self - gloves!) 

Had some of these enamel pots around from a few years back and just found them again.
So the mini-village makes comeback! 

A request for a set of votive altar candle holders led to the creation of this unique, one of a kind set! 

Tiny terra-cotta pots, tiny houses BIG magic! 

And I know, I know. I have shown many Taweret statues in my blog. . . I cannot help it! There is no other figure I make where I am so giddy while I create it each and every time!  A chubby hippo can really make a "kid" smile. 

4 comments:

  1. You made me smile with your Chubby Hippo! LOL! Amazing pieces Nicolas!! Truly amazing! I am so ready for fall and winter too! Big Crow Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stacy! I think my favorite thing about Taweret is how she is presented walking on her two back legs, yet not in anthropomorphic form. All Hippo! We know so much about ancient Egypt but I'd love to chat with the sculptor who first decided that this was the way She should be presented! I can't think of another four legged animal who they ever showed in that pose. So why her???? :)

      Thank you for dropping by and BIG Crow Hugs!!

      Delete
  2. It seems like forever since I've had a chance to visit. I'm so sorry. Nicolas. Your blog has been a favourite for some time but life kinda got in the way of my online time. I'm so happy to be visiting again.

    Our winter is on the way out and I'm already sad to see it go. Our summers are way too long with unbearable heat and humidity. I know some like it that way but not me.

    Your sculpted pieces are so amazing! I do like the Goddess Nephthys as a Kite. The Taweret statue made me smile.

    I look forward to visiting on a regular basis again.

    I hope you have a blessed week,
    Serena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Serena!!

      Oh I understand how life gets away. Iam so thrilled to se you here again. :) Thank you!

      I almost never use the term lovely summer. . . this year has been a surprise. Not a single day over 80 so far. While much of our country swelters in record heat, we've been soooo lucky. Still, I crave the moody days of winter and autumn to come.

      Nephthys as a Kite. Every time I think I have some sort of grasp on the pantheon, and I mean just the Egyptian one, never mind the Norse or Greek etc, someone makes a request and I am reminded how diverse and varied it was and how long of a time span it covers. That there are so many variations on some of the deities.
      I am always more drawn to the animal forms of them more than any other it seems, so to make Nephthys in the Kite form was a lovely undertaking!

      I am on my way to visit your lovely blog and I hope you are well and thriving!!

      nicolas

      Delete